Monday, March 16, 2009

United Way for the third world?

On Thursday, March 12th I went to the launch dinner of Belleville's own Streams of Hope, which bills itself as the United Way for the third world.

I was very impressed with the overall message behind the organization: 100% of funds go to help organizations that already exist within the countries in need. Streams of Hope is able to do this by being entirely volunteer based.

That's right. They have no paid staff.

From a donor's perspective, this is pretty sweet for me! I know where the money is going and I'm fortunate enough to know the people who are involved in going over to visit and help the third party organizations in person to make sure that the funds go to what's needed the most. Overall, I think it's an awesome idea for a non-profit. Finally, someone's getting it right.

No comments: