Sunday, January 11, 2009

Coke sells its soul for a polar bear, part 2

Apologies that it's taken me so long to update this and comment on Coke's holiday blitz. The main reason that it took me so long is that Coke has taken down the part of its site that dealt with the holiday campaign for polar bears and has instead replaced it with multiple direct links to the WWF site. But that's a good thing, right? Not in my case.

Early in November, I noticed the fine print that Coke had included on their site stating that they would donate up to a maximum of $100,000 provided that 1.4 million PINs were entered on their site by December 31st.

It took me a while, but I finally managed to find a site with information about the monetary donations made by Coke this season. Apparently they succeeded in getting the 1.4 millions PINs because Coke proudly proclaims that it has donated $100,000 from its loyalty program in 2008 for polar bear conservation efforts.

I'm a little suspicious of this. Neither Coke nor WWF has issued a news release or any related materials on their respective sites. No news agencies have picked up on this story; even the bloggers are silent. These large corporations have remained suspiciously silent towards a potentially huge PR campaign that could bolster their images in a positive light.

More updates to come once I've found out more.

No comments: