Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Consuming the Christmas spirit... one present at a time

I was watching CP 24 earlier this evening so that I could see the hour when Santa came on tv and answered phone calls from local children. I thought, what an awesome idea! Letting kids talk to Santa would be a great way for me to bolster my Christmas spirit, which has been flagging a little this year. Boy was I wrong!

As I sat on my couch for a few minutes and started listening to the program, I realised that something was horribly wrong. A little girl, around two years old, had called Santa to ask for a digital camera. The shocked announcer asked if she knew how to use one to which she responded "Of course! Mommy lets me use hers, but I want one of my own."

I had to get up and turn off the tv. What, I asked myself, is wrong with this world that a two-year old will only feel happy if she has the latest in digital technology? As I started thinking more about Christmas, I realised that a lot of my disillusionment stems from the strong link to consumerism that the holiday has developed within the past little while.

I decided that the only way for me to get rid of these "holidays blahs" was to go online and see if I could find anything that might bring me out of my holiday-induced funk. I discovered an entry on the Streams of Hope blog that directed me to the Doctors Without Borders' Top 10 Humanitarian Crises of 2008, which brought everything into a sharp focus. Perspective restored, and holiday cheer brought back if somewhat muted, I have remembered the more important message of the holiday: spending time with loved ones and appreciating what you've got.

Happy holidays to everyone!

No comments: