Monday, October 13, 2008

Gumming up The Biggest Loser

I usually make it a point not to watch reality tv. Most of the shows are either really obviously scripted or just so ridiculous that I can't take it seriously, however I have to admit that I've recently acquired a guilty pleasure: The Biggest Loser. It's a feel-good kind of show that you can actually believe in. Or so I thought.

About three episodes into this season, I noticed Jillian (my favourite trainer and all-around hard ass) pushing a new Motorola product on one of the contestants as a workout aid. I figured it was probably a good idea, afterall the product is a lot like an ipod only it has a built-in belt clip. What's not to like? Or so I thought.

Last week's episode involved a painfully-obvious attempt at selling gum. Not any gum though, low cal gum! Low cal gum that can reduce your sweet craving! Sounds good, except that's pretty much verbatim for what one of the contestants said. I have to start questioning, is Extra writing a script now? This "candid" moment brought to you by Extra! Cringe-worthy.

I have no issues with product placement within a show, but when it's obvious, it gets really annoying. Annoying to the point where I won't buy the product because they're just trying too hard and I have to wonder what's wrong with the product that it can't be sold in a commercial. I know that associating low cal gum with The Biggest Loser makes sense from a brand values perspective, I have to wonder if this helps the gum or hurts the show. My vote is on hurting.

No comments: